Getting to and from School - STARS Engagement Programme
We are proud to be working with Milton Keynes Council on the Stars Engagement Programme towards becoming recognised as a nationally accredited school.
What is it and why are we doing it?
The STARS project is there to :
- Address Brooksward's transport and travel issues and challenges
- Support families and pupils to undertake more safe active travel
- Increase levels of sustainable travel to and from Brooksward
- Increase pupils physical activity levels
- Support / improve Brooksward's relationship with the local community
- Gain a level of national Modeshift STARS accreditation
How are we doing this?
We have lots of initiatives going on in school to help us achieve this, for example, with our children we have had a Bling your Bike Competition, Road Safety Poster competition. For our parents we have advised on safer parking and traffic control along with the support of the local PCSO's and traffic wardens at school pick ups and drop offs in particular. Please see our latest news page here for more up to date information.
Have a go at planning the route to school with your child. Can they use the Redways? Can they find out how long it takes them to get to school either walking or cycling. Could you change your mode of transport once a week? https://www.getsmartertravelmk.org/
The following area map indicates with marked circles the streets within 5 minutes and 10 minute walks from school. If you would like a copy of this map, please come into the office and we can give one to you.
Do you travel to school by bus ?
Have you thought about using public transport to get to school? It can be excellent education for young people to understand how the buses work, and good for their independence.